Thursday, November 02, 2006

the reason the amoeba is angry

Keven quotes Wikipedia, "Self described “Independents” make up the largest voter group in American politics" "please correct me if I’m wrong." Kevin refers to the Independents as "the Angry Amoeba." Here is my comment on his article:

It sounds incredible doesn't it? I only started to try to see if it is correct but let's just say it is for the sake of argument. Also, I think it is probably true since this source also says that it is true, it says it is true now having changed from decades ago: "In the mid twentieth century, party identification was a badge of honor. According to the National Election Studies program at the University of Michigan, fifty years ago 47 percent of voters identified with the Democrats and 28 percent with the Republicans, while just 23 percent were independents. In the year 2000, however, those numbers were almost reversed, with 40 percent of American voters describing themselves as independents, 34 percent as Democrats, and 24 percent as Republicans."

Isn't it incredible that the media doesn't have an Independent view represented every time they talk to a Republican and a Democrat? This is part of the reason I think you are concluding that there is no "vital center." I think the media simply doesn't present it so it seems like there isn't. This is part of the power of the media. Kat was right about the fact that the media is powerful and what that means, "Because you cannot know any different, you will base your decisions on what I have told you. If I have done my job well you will make the decision I want you to make." The huge part of the power is what they omit. MSM omits the Independent view because MSM's focus is around centers of power and powerful interest put their money behind what is often called "the two parties." The mainstream media could have on people who identify themselves as part of the Amoeba you mention but they do not do so for the most part, basically all the political energy is framed as Democratic or Republican.

I argue that powerful interests fear the angry amoeba and that powerful interests are catered to by excluding Independents from the media as much as we see. Compromise options COULD BE discussed in the mainstream media if they simply allowed it or didn't restrict it to the large degree that see that they do. A functioning media is essential to a functioning democracy. I think this is part of the reason the amoeba is angry.

And to make the point that relates to this, people need a real and fair way to exercise their democratic rights. the amoeba is angry because it is getting screwed over. It does matter if large parts of the amoeba are being deceived and manipulated by mainstream media and they never figure it out. People need to know the truth otherwise they really are not making choices without true freedom. If you come to my store and I deceive you into thinking I am selling you a sofa yet I ship you a thimble, you don't share the blame for why you ended up with a thimble, I am to blame because it wasn't fair for me to do that. I can't misrepresent what it is I am selling you and think you share blame for you being conned. The same goes for those that run our media and it applies to the "evil politicians" you refereed to in "If This Country Goes Down, It’s Taking Me With It." And this point is important because you take issue with me blaming "evil politicians."

I think what former House Majority Leader Dick Armey (R-TX) said just 2 days ago on October 31 is something everyone should think about. Dick Armey said: "a fundamental premise of politics is we can make this work if people just never figure it out." Armey's amazingly honest admission about conning the public reveals what goes on in political discourse. Chris Matthews had asked him if what the Republicans were doing was "making it look like they've got Kerry saying something" and Armey admitted, "it's pretty standard fare in political discourse. You misconstrue what somebody said, you isolate a statement, you lend your interpretation to it, then feign moral outrage. And Democrats have been doing it for years."

No comments: